Provisional Schedule of Classes
Draft Schedule available for download.
- Silver Queen Special 90th Anniversary Class: 2 Jars liquid honey and 2 pieces of cut comb.
- Two 454g jars of light honey
- Two 454g jars of medium honey
- Two 454g jars of dark honey
- Two 454g jars of naturally crystallised honey
- Two 454g jars of soft set honey
- Two 454g jars of Heather honey
- One rectangular container of cut comb honey of min. weight 180g
- One shallow frame of honey ready for extraction
- One jar of honey, to be judged on Taste Alone
- One cake of beeswax of weight between 220 – 280g (exhibit inside a clear plastic bag)
- Three matching blocks of wax, each of weight 28g (exhibit on a white paper plate inside a clear plastic bag)
- Two matching beeswax candles
- Any decorative beeswax item except candle made by any method
- One bottle of dry mead
- One bottle of sweet mead
- Novice class – two matching 454g jars of liquid honey (A Novice is a person who has never won a first prize in any jarred honey class at an open honey show)
- An item of art illustrating any aspect of bees or beekeeping
- One photograph, min. size 15cm x 10cm mounted on A4 card of honeybee or beekeeping interest
- Honey fruit cake made to recipe below (Show inside a clear plastic bag on a flat white paper plate or doyley.)
- Honey Fudge, made to a recipe of your choice (Show inside a clear plastic bag on a flat white paper plate or doyley.)
Points will be awarded in each of classes 1 to 13 as follows: 1st place - 7 points, 2nd place - 4 points, 3rd place - 2 point
1st place - £7, 2nd place - £4, 3rd place - £2 Entry fee: 50p per entry up to a maximum of £4 for all classes entered
Bristol Silver Queen Trophy will be awarded to the entrant gaining the highest number of points from classes 1 to 13 inclusive.
Bristol Bronze Queen will be awarded to the runner-up of the winner of the Silver Queen.
Winners of the each of the above trophies will receive an engraved item of Bristol Blue Glass to take home. The trophies cannot be taken away. An item of Bristol Blue Glass will also be awarded to the ‘Best in Show’ (Classes 1-13).
Class 20: Revised Honey Fruit Cake Recipe
Ingredients: 100g Sultanas, 200g soft butter, 200g honey, 3 eggs beaten, 100g ground almonds, 125g plain flour, 1.5 tsp baking powder, 25g flaked almonds.
Method: Cream butter and honey. Add the eggs gradually. Stir in the sultanas, followed by the ground almonds, then fold in the flour and baking powder. Add extra milk if texture requires more moisture. Pour into a greased and lined 20cm tin, sprinkle with the flaked almonds and bake for 45-50 minutes at 180C, gas mark 4. Timing is for conventional ovens and is a guide only as appliances vary. (Show inside a clear plastic bag on a flat white paper plate.)
Class 21: Honey Fudge Instructions
Show a minimum of 10 pieces inside a clear plastic bag on a paper plate. MUST contain Honey, MUST NOT contain chocolate. Recipe used to be written on card alongside display for the judge. Show inside a clear plastic bag on a flat white paper plate or doyley.
Suggestions: These are purely for information and none come with any particular recommendation or endorsement by the show committee. None have been tested by the committee! So may be of variable quality. They are all referenced as to where they were sourced. Download some recipes here.