Provisional Schedule of Classes
Draft Schedule available for download.
- Two 454g jars of light honey
- Two 454g jars of medium honey
- Two 454g jars of dark honey
- Two 454g jars of naturally crystallised honey
- Two 454g jars of soft set honey
- Two 454g jars of Heather honey
- One rectangular container of cut comb honey of min. weight 180g
- One shallow frame of honey ready for extraction
- One jar of honey, to be judged on Taste Alone
- One cake of beeswax of weight between 220 – 280g (exhibit inside a clear plastic bag)
- Three matching blocks of wax, each of weight 28g (exhibit on a white paper plate inside a clear plastic bag)
- Two matching beeswax candles
- Any decorative beeswax item except candle made by any method
- One bottle of dry mead
- One bottle of sweet mead
- Novice class – two matching 454g jars of liquid honey (A Novice is a person who has never won a first prize in any jarred honey class at an open honey show)
- An item of art illustrating any aspect of bees or beekeeping
- One photograph, min. size 15cm x 10cm mounted on A4 card of honeybee or beekeeping interest
- Honey fruit cake made to recipe below (Show inside a clear plastic bag on a flat white paper plate or doyley.)
- Honey Fudge, made to a recipe of your choice (Show inside a clear plastic bag on a flat white paper plate or doyley.)
Points will be awarded in each of classes 1 to 13 as follows: 1st place - 7 points, 2nd place - 4 points, 3rd place - 2 point
1st place - £7, 2nd place - £4, 3rd place - £2 Entry fee: 50p per entry up to a maximum of £5 for all classes entered
Bristol Silver Queen Trophy will be awarded to the entrant gaining the highest number of points from classes 1 to 13 inclusive.
Bristol Bronze Queen will be awarded to the runner-up of the winner of the Silver Queen.
Winners of the each of the above trophies will receive an engraved item of Bristol Blue Glass to take home. The trophies cannot be taken away. An item of Bristol Blue Glass will also be awarded to the ‘Best in Show’ (Classes 1-13).
Class 19: Classic Honey Fruit Cake Recipe
Ingredients: 225g (8oz) self raising flour, 110g (4oz) butter or margarine, 175g (6oz) honey, 175g (6oz) sultanas, 2 eggs, pinch salt, a little milk if needed.
Method: Cream butter & honey together. Beat eggs well and add them alternately with sifted flour and salt (save a little flour to add with sultanas). Fold all together well. Add a little milk if necessary. Fold in sultanas and stir well. Prepare a round tin 165mm to 190mm diameter. Pour in cake mixture and bake in a preheated moderate oven for approximately 45 minutes or until cooked. (Show inside a clear plastic bag on a flat white paper plate.)
Class 20: Honey Fudge Instructions
Show a minimum of 10 pieces inside a clear plastic bag on a paper plate. MUST contain Honey, must NOT contain chocolate. Recipe used to be written on card alongside display for the judge. (Show inside a clear plastic bag on a flat white paper plate.)